Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Children
I had an opportunity the other day I have not had in a while, to stop and talk to some kids.  I was at work doing what I do and we had to take send someone dangerous to prison; this guy was not exactly the block captain, although everyone in the neighborhood was scared to death of him.  On the other side of a tall chain link fence from the place where I was standing was assembling a bunch of kids, just watching us.   All the kids came up after we had a stand-off with a bunch of the bad guy's gang members- they decided to go home, probably a good decision for them, because I work with a bunch of professionals and we do not scare too easily.  Anyway all these kids are talking to me and running around pretending to ram open door with sticks-and then placing each other under arrest, it really was funny and a sight to see given where we were at.  So I walk over to the fence, lean down and I ask each one of them what they want to be when they grow up, there had to be at least 8 or 10 of them gathering up close to the fence to see me.  Of course most of them always give the typical answer “I want to be a police”.  One small girl, she looked to be mixed race, maybe 7 years old told me she wanted to be a baby doctor, she was holding a doll, and she would barely look me in the face.  But then she asked me, "Do you think I can do that".  My heart sank, I told her and I told all of them, to come a little bit closer and to listen to me, one of the older kids got all of them quiet.  I told them to look at me and I said you can be anything in the world you want too, never let anybody tell you otherwise and "can't “ain't” a word.  I gave all of them a knuckle bump through the fence and as I did I hoped I would never see any of them on the other side of a permanent barrier from me.  The last thing I told them was to always keep Jesus in their hearts and then I went back to work. Those kids were pitiful; I wonder what kind of chance they have.

 It was many miles later and two days later before I finally got to see my own family again and when I did of course they wanted to tell me so many things. My youngest told me the most touching story which was told at school.   A woman who is paralyzed from the waist down was able to complete a marathon with the aid of something like a spine board and braces for her arms, keep in mind I am getting the version of this story (which my wife confirmed as true) from a child.  My child finished the story and was so happy about it and then I got a look which told me I was about to hear something good, “Daddy you are right, can't ain't a word".  I have taught my children the same thing I told those kids.  All of a sudden in my mind I was miles away, to those kids I had met, my heart raced as I revisited the rush I felt that day and then  I was devastated, and sickened by what I remembered.  I had to snap to and re-focus and be daddy to my little children.  And the one thing I have left out, this was not the worst thing I saw that day.   Some days you just have to wonder if you are really making a dent in the world's problems, along with continuing to bear your own cross.  I pray for those children, those days I hate my job.  I just want to get rid of all the bad guys and keep the children safe. Later before we left the scene I heard a woman cursing her kids telling them to get back into the apartment and don't talk to those men...I remember who she is  and I know what she does.  Now I am tired and I am going to power down so I can recharge.

In closing I leave you with this- get ready, time is short.  There are signs everywhere, we are at war.  My prayer is that God gives me an opportunity for a righteous fight and will use me as an instrument in the awful moment of hostilities.  Be safe fellow warriors and don’t forget to pray for your children.

“A people that values its privileges over its principles will soon lose both” Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1953

No comments:

Post a Comment